Tuesday, July 12, 2011

It should be well

If peace like a river came my way
And sorrows ceased now to roll
Would the beauty begin to fade away
With no pain left to cause it to stay?

If in a mighty fortress I could live
A bulwark that never fell
Would I waste away from lack of pain
Would I forget the feel of lost love’s stains?

If I were there ten thousand years
Everything shining like the sun
Would I remember what tears brought me there
Or would I sing on forgetting that I once cared?

If the lepers spots were truly changed
And this heart of stone were melted
Would I know all my days
That love is the only thing that remains?

If all fears were finally stilled
And strivings could forever cease
Would the lack of struggle bind me down
Causing me to slowly drown?

Would I always wonder
What pain could make me see?
Would I always feel
Like I wasn’t truly free?

Or is it possible to have enough
Of good to fill this hole
Is there a way to truly sing,
“It is well, with my soul.”

No comments:

Post a Comment