Friday, June 17, 2022

Wishbone

In one fell swoop I lost the two people I would break for,
And break I did.

I felt the snap.

I've said before that I am unbreakable, but I can be bent.
I was wrong.
Violence and hate can't break me,
Death, hovering above my bed cannot make me snap.

It turns out it's love.
A wishbone held by two hands at either side of a table,
They pulled.
And I snapped cleanly.

Lucky in someone else's eyes. That I would snap in such a way for them.

Which one of you got your wish?
Do you know who holds the bigger piece?

All I feel is broken from the bone of my neck,
Where I used to sing.
Now unable to even whisper.

I actually see it clearer than this. Don't worry.

I know when it broke he gave a grin,
While you...
You did not even know what was being broken.

Don't throw the piece away?
Keep me safe?
Hold it tight,
Maybe we can piece it back together.

But you may be too shocked,
And sickened,
At the sight of me broken in your hand.
You might throw me and run.

I wouldn't blame you,
You never belonged in this mess.
I promise you I didn't know it was one.

Then it was too late,
To shout a warning out
From my broken neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment