Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The War

We brought our swords to battle,
All lined up along the cliff.
On chariots and horses
In armor forged of steel.

The sea it raged below us,
Death boiling at the brim.
Black waves climbing ever higher
Reaching for our souls.

Our Captain stood before
Shining white like the setting sun
He raised his helmet high above his head
His voice roared as he spoke

"Today begins the battle
Of us against the sea.
Although it seems impossible,
Anything is possible with me."

Some of us were shaking
Fear pounding through our blood.
Others had already fled
Tossing down their swords.

The sea seemed ever greater
Stretching on and on
My fear threatened to take over
When I heard the battle cry sound

Down the troops began to fall,
Slashing at the waves
My feet refused to jump,
My sword dropped to the ground.

I knew I needed to fight the sea
To conquer better lands,
But so many had been swallowed already
And I was afraid to drown

Then I felt abiding warmth,
Flowing through and all around
I knew the Captain was standing by
Holding onto my arm

“I am afraid of the sea,”
I whispered through my shame
He turned my face up toward His,
“I will guard you, hang on to me.”

I gripped His hand harder still
And picked back up my sword
Then hand in hand we took the leap
Pressing into the waves

The sea froze to the bone
My air began to fail
I tried to find the oceans end
I fought to see the sky

I almost wanted to give in
Let the sea win the war
But then I felt my body rise
Then I felt the warmth

The sea had turned to calming blue
The sun had begun to rise
I realized I was being carried still
All the way to white and sandy shores

My Captain placed me down
Among the others who had fought
He looked at me through tears of joy,
“My soldier, the war is won.”

No comments:

Post a Comment