Monday, August 6, 2012

What I Fear

They were young
And in love
A classic story
Told a thousand times

She called him when she woke
And before he fell asleep.
He dreamed of being together
And living in vulnerable peace.

But now he no longer fixes cars
And she no longer fixes lives

He sits in his office
And watches the young secretaries
Come
And go
So full of life
And hope

She only sees people
Who are in a last ditch effort
To stay
Together
So desperately empty
And alone

"I never knew,"
She says to herself
"That this love and life
Would fade
All the excitement of love
Being blown away."

"I never thought,"
He whispers in his mind
"That there were others
More and more
With everything I sought
And everything I thought I found"

So they return home
To their hollow house
Full of regret
And disappointment

And she looks to him
To dispel the fear
And he looks to her
To draw him near 

But instead they begin to break
And slowly they fall, far apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment